27 April 2010

Rhubarb + Booze = Bliss


Nothing symbolizes Spring like Rhubarb. From the first scary bumps poking through the soil, to the huge leaves unfurling with a peek of bright magenta stalks. While I love the first 3 recipes I make with it, near the end of the season, I've had enough and the rest gets chopped and thrown into the freezer or this recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson.

1 1/4 lb rhubarb, cut and trimmed to 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 liter vodka

Coat Rhubarb with sugar in a large jar with tight fitting lid. Pour Vodka over and shake. Shake every other day for the first month or so then store in a cool dark place for at least 6 weeks and up to 6 months. Strain through cheesecloth before using.

I absolutely love Nigella's cookbooks! (I have all of them) Her approach to being creative with her recipes paired with enthusiasm for food and cooking, are all the things I love about cooking! I also love the fact she's not so fussy about putting things together (it's all about the flavor!) and yet they turn out great!


John and I especially have fun making fruity cocktails in the summer, but I also love to pour a shot of boozey flavor onto sponge cakes or into marinades and sauces! This works perfectly, as it is not too sweet! A "Rhubarb-tini" is mighty fine in the dog days of summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment