27 August 2015

Spiced Pumpkin & Pecan Butter

It's happening. I caught a glimpse of a non-green leaf, the sun is looking different, days are shorter and orange is beginning to show up in my garden. No matter how hard I try to resist the pumpkin trends until September, I rarely have enough will power.
This particular recipe came to be after purchasing a jar of a similar nature at a cook/foodie haven; W-S. As I handed over way too much cash, my only thought was "I wonder if they have plastic spoons for the car ride home". I looked up many copycat recipes and made several batches, this is my favorite! I have found Effie's Nutcakes to be the perfect complement as well!

SPICED PUMPKIN & PECAN BUTTER

zest of 1/2 lemon and orange, grated finely (I also use candied peel, 1 Tablespoon each orange & lemon, I dare say it may be even better than the zest)
4 cups pumpkin or squash puree ( If using homemade puree, drain in jelly bag a few hours after roasting)
1 3/4 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons orange juice
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Molasses (I use the robust or blackstrap)
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon each allspice, cloves and ginger

Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Cook 25-30 minutes until very thick. Taste and adjust seasonings and sugar, keeping in mind the flavors will deepen upon sitting for a few days. Stir in 1/3 cup toasted, chopped pecans. Fill sterilized jars and refrigerate or freeze when cooled. This recipe is not appropriate for canning as the filling cannot reach proper internal temperature. It keep about 3 months+ in fridge, at least a year in the freezer.





No comments:

Post a Comment