12 January 2012

Tomato Basil Appetizer Pizza

It was years ago when I last attended a "home" party for kitchenware.  I still have lots of their stoneware baking pans that I love!  At one such party, the hostess made an appetizer pizza that was fantastic!  I am not the sort to buy doughs in a tube (John DOES love Grands biscuits however...) so I adjusted the recipe to fit my kitchen and it's a winner!  I've included my favorite pizza crust recipe, but you could substitute any that you prefer (including one from a tube, I won't tell!).



While I namely make my own mayonnaise, for this recipe you will want a purchased variety, the homemade just doesn't have all the weird stabilizing ingredients the jar stuff has.  This recipe fits about a 13X15 baking pan, or maybe a bit larger.

HOMEMADE PIZZA CRUST:

1 cup hot water
1 Tablespoon instant yeast (if using dry active, proof yeast in water first)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2- 3 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour (I've successfully used 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white flours, anymore than that and the crust was a bit too tough for our liking)

Throw everything into mixing bowl and use dough hook on low speed for about 4 minutes, add additional flour until a smooth, glossy dough is achieved.  Let rise about 15 minutes until nearly double.  Punch down dough and roll directly onto lightly greased baking sheet.

PIZZA INGREDIENTS:
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
2/3 cups mayonnaise
1-2 cloves minced garlic
6 small or 4 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
3-4 Tablespoons fresh basil, thinly slice the leaves

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sprinkle the prepared, uncooked pizza crust with 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese.

Place tomato slices evenly over entire pizza on top of the mozzarella cheese. 

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic and basil and mix well.  Add remaining cup of mozzarella cheese and parm cheese.  Blend until combined (will be clumpy and thick).  Drop evenly on top of tomatoes and carefully spread to cover.  This will be a bit difficult, but looks won't matter once it's cooked.

Bake 15-20 minutes until top is lightly browned and cheese is bubbly!  Cut into small diamonds and enjoy! 






No comments:

Post a Comment