14 January 2012

Attempting Brioche....wanna join me?

Each French cookbook I purchase, every French or French inspired bakery I visit, I am thinking about Brioche.  I had one EVERY morning in France (occasionally I bought a couple extra for a midnight snack too) and have never found a very tasty one in America.



It's snowing, I NEED to have some fabulous carbs to get me through January.  I have the pans (always had the intention) and now I'm going for it!  Here is my first attempt at Brioche via "The Art Of French Baking" by  Ginette Mathiot.  Since Brioche takes at least an overnight rest, this post will span a couple days.

Want to bake along with me?  I would love to see your comments and photos, please include a link!  Here is the recipe I'm using and I'll see you tomorrow with crumbs on my chin!

BRIOCHE
recipe courtesy of Ginette Mathiot

1/2 ounce fresh yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons milk, lukewarm
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened + extra for greasing pans
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
4 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup superfine sugar (NOT POWDERED)



( note; the intro to this chapter specifically states dough must rest overnight and ingredients should be very cold, yet the recipe directions contradict this.  So I am going to proof my yeast in the warm milk, use cold eggs and mix the dough to glossy.  Then I will let the dough rest overnight in the fridge and finish according to directions)

Dissolve the yeast in milk.  Grease an 8 inch Brioche mold, deep cake pan or muffin pans with butter.  Place the flour in a bowl, make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture, 3 eggs, salt, butter and sugar.  Mix by hand for 10 minutes or by machine set on slow speed for 5 minutes, until the dough is glossy and elastic.  (I'm going to use the kitchen aid mixer with dough hook.  Then I will place in buttered bowl and let rest in fridge overnight)

Place dough in greased pans, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot for 3-4 hours.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Beat the remaining egg and brush gently over the brioche to glaze, then bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and the pan sounds hollow when tapped underneath.

GOOD LUCK! Can't wait to see yours too!

(PS I am going to start this on Sunday night and bake Monday...)




No comments:

Post a Comment