28 February 2011

Breakfast for Supper

Debbie's beautiful fresh eggs! 

John off to the gym, Julia at work, Jamie studying at a friend's house...it has been 6 months since I've had the house to myself!

I only had myself to cook for.  This usually means pasta, but not tonight.  Tonight I had a Panettone begging to be made into French Toast for supper.  And real butter and real maple syrup.  Oh, yes.

I know not everyone is a big fan of breakfast for supper.  The French student, Sophie, that stayed with us in July, thought it was the strangest thing.  The French do have their opinions about food.   We personally love to eat omelets and such for supper.  It's comforting and no matter the temperature outdoors, it seems to be the perfect easy meal that appeases the whole family.

Panettone is an Italian sweet bread traditionally made with raisins and candied orange peel.  The bread is delicate and flavorful without too much sweetness and a fine, light texture.  It's baked in a round that is quite tall and comes beautifully wrapped per the Italiano culture.

I simply added a dash of vanilla to 4 beaten eggs and sauteed in a butter drenched pan until golden.  A bit of syrup, so heavenly.  If you don't have access to maple syrup, I have been successful with Lyle's Golden Syrup too!  (I was too busy eating to photograph the finished product!  Hopefully the ingredients will be enough for you!) 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment