24 November 2010

Savory Squash Pie with Bacon Lattice Top



I am up early today to prepare a few dishes for the festivities and thought I would share a new recipe with you.  I cannot make this for Thanksgiving, as my family has had it about 4 times while I was fine tuning the recipe for my cooking class!  They have refused to eat it again this calendar year!  It all sounds a bit complicated, but goes together quite easily!  I saw a pie much like this in the Wall Street Journal, but I think mine tastes much better, a little less sweet!

We wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

SQUASH PIE WITH BACON LATTICE

1  9 inch pie pastry crust

1/3 cup Butter, soft
½ cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
5 Oz. Evaporated Milk or Heavy Cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla
2 cups Mashed Squash (A blend of Acorn and Butternut is my favorite)

¼ pound Blue Cheese, crumbled (I used Bleu Affine)

8 slices Bacon
½ cup Brown Sugar
4 Teaspoons Balsamic Vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place pie crust into pie dish and flute edges.
In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla, mix well.  Add milk or cream and squash, mix until combined then pour into pastry crust.  Bake 50-55 minutes until center is set.  Sprinkle with cheese and cool on a wire rack.

Increase oven temp to 425 degrees.  Foil line the bottom of a broiler pan for easy clean up.  Basketweave your 8 slices of bacon together on the grid portion of the broiler pan.  In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar and brush evenly over the bacon slices.  Bake about 15 minutes with a piece of foil over the bacon, remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.  Trim edges to fit your pie dish and place on top of squash.  Serve cold or at room temp!

No comments:

Post a Comment