02 October 2012

Pesto making commences...

I think it was the 3 liters of Extra Virgin Olive Oil that tipped them off!



All of a sudden John brought home a baguette, Jamie was discussing homemade pasta.....

Pesto season has officially started for the week!

I had planted 5 basil plants in my garden this year.  The lack of rain did stunt their growth a bit, but I think it intensified the flavor!

I gathered all of the essentials; Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, pine nuts, EVOO, garlic and washed/dried basil leaves.



I never use a real recipe, I just chuck it all into the blender and let 'er rip.  Taste, adjust, taste, pour into some sterilized  jars or plastic containers and pop in the freezer!

Last year when pine nuts were in the ballpark of $40 per pound, I used walnuts instead and it was fantastic, so don't feel too obligated to use pine nuts if you don't have them.

One whole basil plant is simply for slicing the leaves thinly and covering with olive oil to protect it from the air and going into the freezer.  I love to use that all winter as well for garnishes and cooking.  As long as the leaves are fully covered with the oil, they will stay bright green and quite fresh, even right out of the freezer.  I also use the "basil" oil for salad dressings and drizzling!

"Harvest" is such a meaningful word today!   



1 comment: