01 May 2011

Baked Eggs



Growing up on the farm and collecting eggs everyday did not turn me into a lover of chickens.  The chickens were always my job, cleaning the coop (ugh) pouring boiling water into their frozen troughs, getting hen pecked and tossing kitchen scraps into the pen.  There was always a beautiful, nasty-tempered rooster to avoid (maybe that's why I love Coq au Vin so much!)  { insert evil chuckle } and they are filthy animals.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the lovely hued eggs and roasted chickens are amazing, so you have to dig through the dirt to get to the gold.  I actually had a passing thought last week how nice it would be to have some little banny hens running around the yard...until Pierre came in covered in bird droppings that he had rolled in.  Nice.  "Non" on the chicken idea.  Moving on to my point...   


I have been seeing baked eggs all over the place!  Magazines, favorite food sites, farm to table cookbooks and even newspapers.  I decided to see for myself what all the fuss is about!  I also bought these great crocks in France and haven't used them nearly enough!  Perfect for 2 baked eggs per person!  I looked at many different recipes....plus what was available in the fridge and came up with this recipe:

Baked Eggs for 2

4 large eggs
6 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives, minced
1/4 lb. Cantal cheese, grated or chopped
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and put a kettle of water on to boil.

Pour 3 T of cream into bottom of ramekin, sprinkle in with a tablespoon of chives.  Break 2 eggs into each dish (or one egg if using smaller ramekins) dust with salt & pepper and top with a few bits of cheese.  Place ramekins into a 9X13 baking dish and pour boiling water to reach at least halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
Bake about 12 minutes until whites are set and yolks are still soft.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment