30 March 2011

Pommes Dauphinoise

Cantal cheese


I am in the charming French midst of "A Table in the Tarn" written by Orlando Murrin.  The food, the ambiance, the decor, the countryside....it's all here in detail!  It's been my private escape this week!  I may just need to take a jaunt to visit "Le Manoir de Raynaudes" in the future, business research for our Inn On Evans of course!  (As long as my CPA doesn't read this blog!)

Pommes Dauphinoise is a dish that I've had on my to do list for some time and tonight was perfect.  I had all the ingredients and the appetite!  It was totally worth waiting for...rich cheese sauce, potatoes cooked through, but with a firm bite, a tiny bit if garlic goodness and crispy "crust" on top!!  Thank you Orlando Murrin for making my Tuesday night!  I'm topping the evening off with a decaf Cafe au Lait (even though no self respecting European would ever drink one past 10am!) and finishing the rest of the book.

POMMES DAUPHINOISE
recipe by Orlando Murrin

1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon salt
plenty of freshly ground pepper, grated nutmeg & pinch of cayenne
2 pounds potatoes, sliced super thin
1 cup Cantal cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large saucepan combine garlic, milk, cream, potatoes and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, simmer for a minute or 2 until mixture is noticably thicker then remove from heat and add 1/2 of the cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted, pour into a well buttered quiche pan, making sure all potatoes are covered with liquid and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  I baked about 40 minutes but depending on the depth of your dish you may need to add a few more minutes.  The cheese should be a deep golden brown and a bit bubbly.


I served with a lovely green salad lightly dressed with vinaigrette and some baked chicken. 
Bon Appetite!

PS  I googled Le Manoir de Raynaudes and it's FOR SALE!!!   


1 comment: