26 March 2011

Cuban Pork Tacos


A few years ago, there was a ratty little street vendor that made the BEST Cuban pork tacos I've ever had and I have worked hard to make them that great ever since.  I don't know that this recipe is authentic, just that the flavor combination was outstanding and I loved it!

  This week I think I have exceeded any previous attempts!  If you've not had a Cuban pork taco, you're in for a taste sensation like no other!

I usually make these tacos when I have leftover pork, which is a fabulous and easy!  I season up my pork a day in advance, so there is plenty of flavor.  I usually don't use a recipe for the seasonings, but just eyeball according to the amount of pork I'm using, so this is a "recipe" for about 2 cups of shredded or diced meat.

Seasonings:
2 Tablespoons Lime juice
1/2  teaspoon cumin   

1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 clove minced garlic
pinch of cayenne
salt & pepper to taste
2 tablespoons minced cilantro

Mix together and let marry overnight. 

Mango Salsa:
2 mangoes, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 jalapeno or serrano pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 clove garlic
salt & pepper to taste

Chop all and blend about an hour before serving.

I fry my corn tortilla in vegetable oil about 1-2 minutes per side, depending on how soft you like them, fill with warmed pork and top with mango salsa!    Serve in a paper towel or waxed paper!!  Easy and fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment