31 January 2011

Carob Chip Doggie Biscuits

We are puppy training...we are going through LOTS of treats in training.  Our Pierre is incredibly food motivated!  (Thank goodness!) 


This has been an interesting 4 months for our family, owning our first puppy.  There have been some tribulations, especially since the weather in Michigan has been consistently under freezing since Pierre's arrival.  It's hard to housetrain when you are shivering...the dog that is!  Pierre has done well and my carpet has barely survived, and I developed a new carpet cleaning solution that actually works pretty well for accidents, and also accidents that you don't "find" right away!  Recipe at bottom of post!



   We are learning all the stuff that dogs teach their owners...I mean people teach dogs.  I have been reading and following "30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog" by Tamar Geller.  I absolutely love the book and her methods have proven very successful so far.  I would highly recommend it!  I didn't like the idea that I was supposed to create a "submissive" animal, and this method actually does that, but in a different way.  Pierre wants to please us all the time and does a great job with a few reminders.  We have learned many tricks and are working hard on a few essential commands.  Check it out at  www.tamargeller.com

On to the biscuits!  We do have to be careful that Pierre doesn't turn into a little tubby terrier, so I've been making lots of biscuits that I know are healthy and tasty.  The peanut butter biscuits I posted earlier in January are great, and Pierre LOVES these new carob ones!



CAROB CHIP DOGGIE BISCUITS

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup carob chips
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup hot water
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 cup oatmeal or wheat germ

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl combine oatmeal and hot water, let soak about 5 minutes if using whole rolled oats.  Add rest of wet ingredients and stir to combine.  Add flour, stirring until smooth and add carob chips.  Roll out on floured surface about 1/3 inch thick and cut to desired shapes.  Bake about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.  Remove from oven and let dry an additional 2 hours.  Store in airtight container for up to 1 week or refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freezes for up to 3 months.

We are practicing on making some recipes with brewers yeast, meat stock and meats.  I will post some of those next week.  We are testing them out as we post....


CARPET CLEANING RECIPE
I fill up an old Lysol spray bottle about 3/4 of the way with water, I add about 2/3 cup of white vinegar, 1/3 cup of carpet cleaning solution and 1/2 teaspoon clorox bleach.  Shake it all together.  I will measure everything and repost exact measurements soon.  
 For a new spot, I soak up the stain, sprinkle the area with baking soda and spray with the solution.  For an old spot, I soak the whole area for about 10 minutes and then blot it up until mostly dry and sprinkle with soda and let dry.  

1 comment:

  1. EARS!!!

    I swear, I just turn into a squeaking pile of goo every time I see Pierre. He's just so cute!

    The biscuits sound like something Jack would really enjoy. He's a cookie hound.

    ReplyDelete