27 January 2011

Rediscovery

My word for the year is "REDISCOVER".  In a world that "reduce-reuse-recycle" has become the mantra, I prefer the word "re-discover".  Its exploring, finding, unearthing!  It sounds mysterious, fun and exciting versus re-utilizing a previous piece of excitement.

I am rediscovering some previously loved recipes to make again and previously loved dishes that will make someone else very happy...when they go up for sale at The Salvation Army store.

I am rediscovering my love of baking and this Apple Cheddar cake recipe is what did it for me!

APPLE CHEDDAR CAKE WITH STOUT SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM ICING

¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter (1 stick) unsalted, softened
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
6 tablespoons milk
1 cup chopped cheddar cheese (I used Isle Of Mull)
1 large apple, cored, peeled and chopped in 1/4 inch cubes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan.

Combine all dry ingredients and mix to combine.

Combine butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.  With mixer on medium-low, add eggs one at a time.  Turn mixer to low speed and add ½ dry mixture.  Add milk and stir remaining dry by hand until just combined.  Add apples and cheese.

Pour into prepared pan, smoothing top with a spatula.  Bake about 35 minutes until golden brown and toothpick in center comes out clean.  Let cool about 10 minutes before removing from pan.

STOUT SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM ICING

½ cup egg white
1 cup sugar
3 sticks butter
3 ounces of Stout

In a glass or metal bowl over a double boiler heat egg white and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.  Place wire whip on mixer and whip until mixture is white and cool.

Change to paddle attachment and on medium speed add butter a tablespoon at a time.  Once all butter is incorporated, increase speed to high and beat until smooth.  Add stout and mix until combine.Then, because I had so much room for discovering some NEW things...I picked up this super sweet purse at The Resale Boutique when I dropped off our winter items to consign.  I would say it fits into the re-use category!

And, this little "Parsley Planter" was just the ticket for my kitchen window!

I CANNOT resist cheese plates and of course, Williams Sonoma agrees.  They produce new ones each year that I "have to have"!!  Aren't they great in this rectangle shape with the bit of depression for sliced baguette or maybe a bit of salami.  They also fit a grilled cheese sandwich perfectly!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment