14 November 2012

Gifts From My Kitchen



Each year I look for some fun ideas for giving the gift of food.  The landscape is getting a bit harder to traverse however since folks are now gluten-free, nut-free, caffeine free, sugar free and on it goes.  I used to give lots of homemade booze gifts, had to scratch that too. 

So instead of being down and out about it...I'm starting with the younger generation :) 

This year, I am putting together Sugar Cookie Kits!  3 different colors of sanding sugars and 2 rolls of homemade refrigerator sugar cookie dough.  I am also including cute sheets of parchment paper in a polka dot pattern, all boxed up in a small crate!

I am giving the first set to our daughters.  They are busy girls that have very little in the way of baking supplies and time.  Viola...slice, sugar and bake!  I think that also makes this gift appealing to young children (mostly their parents :)) that there is no need for rolling pins, flour, cutters, etc.

I found the idea for the sanding sugar on ...wait for it....Pinterest!  Surprise!  The surprise was on me when it turned out so well!  I only had liquid food coloring on hand, so if you have paste food coloring, that would be really fun and expand your coloring options too!

You can poke around the internet for some cute printable cards to print the baking instructions on. Or if your printer is possessed like mine, hand print on a piece of card stock and run ribbon through 4 slits cut into the center of each edge with a box cutter.

I think the sky is the limit as to how cute you can make this gift!  I'm also sending one to our neighbors that have 2 small children and my niece and nephew that are teenagers but live with their dad and recently moved to a new home.....they really need cookies. 

SANDING SUGAR


¼ cup raw or turbinado sugar
10 drops of food coloring

Place sugar in small zip top bag, add food coloring drops directly to sugar and gently knead sugar until color is evenly distributed.  Pour out onto a sheet of parchment and allow to dry 2 hours.



REFRIGERATOR SUGAR COOKIE DOUGH

1 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy on medium speed.  Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Turn mixer speed to low and alternately add dry ingredients and milk until a smooth dough has formed.  

Shape dough into a log and cover tightly with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until firm.  Slice dough into 1/3 inch thick slices and bake on a parchment lined sheet for 8-10 minutes.

Dough lasts 7 days in fridge or can be frozen up to 3 months.

 


 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment