21 March 2012

Warm Leek & Bean Salad

Several months have gone by and I still miss my local Borders bookstore.  I can't even drive by without whining "I miss Borders....".  John was tired of hearing it, so he took me up to the Barnes & Noble on the other side of town.

Barnes & Noble is nice.  Parking is a stinker, everything fun is upstairs, I can't find anything without scanning EVERY dang title, there are no 40% off coupons, but it's ok.  What'cha gonna do?



On my last visit, I picked up River Cottage Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingsall (seriously, I had to copy and paste his name :)) which I am loving!  Simple, interesting recipes with a seasonal/local flair that are easy to get on the table with a minimal amount time.  Love it!   I adjusted it a bit to suit my tastes.

Last night John and I grilled a bit of pork and shared this salad after a day of cleaning out the garage and basement...omg.  We wrangled, hauled, burned and swept the winter right out of the place.  It was satisfying and horrible, filthy and muscle burning.  Its finished.

This salad was amazing.  Fresh and green, yet warm, hearty elements created a comfort food feeling!  It would also be fantastic with grilled romaine lettuce!




LEEK & WHITE BEAN SALAD

2 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
2 large leeks, cleaned and sliced in ¼ inch slices
1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
Lettuce

1 Tablespoon whole grain mustard
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
Pinch of sugar

Heat a skillet to medium, add olive oil and sauté leeks until tender, about 7 minutes.  You don’t want them to brown, so you may need to adjust heat. 

While leeks cook, combine mustard, vinegar and seasons in a small bowl.  Slowly whisk in olive oil until emulsified.

When leeks are tender, stir in beans until heated through.  Remove from heat and toss with parsley, salt & pepper.  Pour dressing into skillet and stir to coat evenly.  Pile a bit of lettuce onto plate and top with leek mixture.  Serve immediately.
  



1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious. I was wondering what side to serve with a nice piece of sea bass tonight--think I just found it!

    ReplyDelete