20 March 2012

Tiny Meyer Lemon Pound Cakes



Meyer lemons are one of my favorite citrus fruits in the world!  A bit less acidic than traditional lemons with a orange-y flavor edge, deep yellow skin and complex flavor.  Here in Michigan, they are around for a short time, so I purchase a couple dozen and enjoy every moment!  You can treat them just like traditional lemons with zesting and juicing (they are really seedy, so be prepared) and the peels are fabulous candied.

I am never disappointed in poundcakes.  Adding meyer lemons just added to the pleasure!  I poked around the internet and didn't really find what I wanted, so I got out a few old cookbooks and ended up adapting a recipe from Taste Of Home.  While I was surfing, I ran across a "Muffin Monday" blogpost in which the author garnished her cakes before baking with a thin slice of Meyer Lemon and a pinch of sugar!  So cute, so creative, slightly weird texture when baked, but you can choose what suits you.

I loved this recipe because I had everything on hand and was snacking in less than 45 minutes!  I would set your timer for a few minutes less than the recipe calls for, I felt mine got a little overdone and were a bit too dry without adding a glaze, which I didn't want to do.  You could always do a bit of meyer lemon simple syrup to pour over when hot too, if you want them a bit sweeter.


Tiny Meyer Lemon Pound Cakes

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons Meyer Lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Meyer Lemon zest
1 3/4 cup floour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.  Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla and mix to combine.  Add eggs one at a time beating in completely before adding the next.  Add sour cream or yogurt and combine.  In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients and add to wet mixture, stirring until just combined.  Fill paper liners or a greased muffin tin about 3/4's full.  Top each muffin with a thin half slice of fresh lemon and a sprinkle of raw sugar.  Bake 18 minutes.   







No comments:

Post a Comment