29 February 2012

Madagascar Cocoa Scones

My friend Mel is a foodie and Francophile from way back.  He is also a huge supporter of our Boulevard Market.  He supports not just as a customer, but gives ideas, notes from foods he's tried and loves, shares tasty treats he's come across and experiences/knowledge.  We met at Jardin de Luxembourg while we all visited Paris and shared a lovely lunch near the Sorbonne.  Mel is no longer our customer, he is our friend.



Several months ago, Mel brought me a bag of cocoa powder that was apparently lurking around his cabinets.  It was a special type from Madagascar.  More reddish than brown in color, an earthy deep chocolate aroma drifted up as I opened the bag.




I wanted to make chocolate scones.  I didn't want Nutella on them, or chocolate drizzle, just PLAIN, rich, deep chocolate flavor in a crusty, moist, bready wedge.  Bingo!  I used a recipe from the cookbook "Baked Explorations" that I picked up several months ago, with a few minor adjustments because I was out of heavy cream. (strange but true)  I did press half the batch with Nestle Butterscotch morsels for the rest of the family and to avoid eating the entire batch myself!

CHOCOLATE SCONES
2 cups flour
1/3 cup of sugar
1/4 cup dark cocoa powder (Valrhona would work nicely too)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, cold
1 egg
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

TOPPINGS
Nutella (warm in microwave 15 seconds)
Butterscotch chips
Egg wash and raw sugar
Chopped nuts

(I used sour cream and milk in replacement of 1/2 cup heavy cream...worked great, but if you've got the cream, use it!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.  Combine egg, sour cream, milk and vanilla in a separate bowl and stir until completely combined.

Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into mixture until mixture resembles crumbs.  Add liquids and use a fork to bring mixture together, but be careful not to over mix.  Pat into an 8 inch circle and cut into wedges.  

Brush each wedge with a bit of beaten egg and a sprinkle of raw sugar, or press butterscotch chips into, or leave plain and drizzle with nutella after baking.  Place on a butter baking sheet and bake 18-20 minutes.



The morning after making these scones was like a winter wonderland!  I had to grab a photo with the trees covered in a heavy blanket of snow.  It was beautiful! 


       



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those look fantastic. I bet they'd sing with a strong cup of hot coffee.

    ReplyDelete