13 April 2013

My First Mint Julep

Last month John and I had a vacation to Savannah Georgia. We really loved the city and surrounding areas and had a ball exploring the area. We embraced the local food scene which is really good too!

My bucket list included drinking a Mint Julep in the deep south, preferably on a verandah....I made it really close! A rooftop bar overlooking the city and Savannah River wasn't too shabby! Of course I fell in love with the Mint Julep and had to make it at home. (Which can never be quite the same feel in rural Michigan) The first recipe I made I muddled mint with sugar and a bit of water until a paste formed, then added the bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve) and ice. It didn't have the nice thickness and refreshment of the one I tried and it didn't have enough of the super fresh mint. So this last time, I made a simple syrup with mint, then added fresh chopped mint to the glass....oh yes! That seemed to make all the difference!



MY SAVANNAH MINT JULEP

Simple Syrup

1 cup sugar
1 cup water
a bunch of fresh mint (mine totaled 7 sprigs)

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and water. Boil for 5 minutes, without stirring. Remove from heat an pour over a handful of mint leaves and gently crush the mint with a spoon.

Refrigerator syrup mixture overnight in a closed jar. Remove mint leaves and continue to refrigerate. This syrup mixture will keep for several weeks.


A handful of fresh mint leaves (I used about 6 leaves per glass)
2 tablespoons Mint Syrup
Crushed ice
2 tablespoons water
2 ounces good-quality Kentucky bourbon (I used Woodford Reserve)
Fresh mint sprig for garnish

Prepare the Mint Syrup.

Crush or muddle a few mint leaves in the bottom of an 8-ounce glass. Then fill glass 1/2 full with crushed or shaved ice. Add prepared Mint Syrup, water, and bourbon.

Enjoy!

BTW- this mint syrup is really delicious! Iced tea, hot tea, a bowl of sliced strawberries.....



No comments:

Post a Comment