12 September 2011

September Pleasures

This week brought pleasures that are strictly for the month of September!  Years ago I planted some sweet white wine grapes with the thought I'd want to make wine.  I do not want to make wine.  It seems I just cleaned out the basement and I'm not willing to put anything else down there!


 This year was a lovely harvest from that vine and today I will make some beautiful, sparkly, white grape jelly.

John and I have given each other many trees as gifts over the years.  For our 10th wedding anniversary John gave me a magnolia tree with the brightest, most delicious blossoms in May that you can imagine.  It's a special treasure all year long.  Four years ago, I gave him a pear tree for his birthday and we have enjoyed a peck or so each year.  This year, the little pear that could...DID!  Wow, we ended up having to pick these pears a bit before their time to save the branches from breaking.  They are now laid out on boards to ripen. 

I hope you are ready for pear recipes!  Last year I made a lovely mascarpone cheese and pear pie, it will be difficult to find something new to create that tops that one!  I will be posting recipes as the pears ripen.

Our Pierre has decided that summer is officially over, as you can see from the evidence of a rainy, cold week:



I should be angry, but we left them in fair game areas and the end-of-summer sales softened the blow!  How can you be mad at this?
 

   





2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a face! Give him a kiss from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you do to get such gorgeous picture perfect pears?
    I've got lots of pears too but can only use part of each one, so I don't have to worry about pear overload. But that pear pie sounds too good to put off for another harvest. Get that recipe up!
    PS. Pierre looks like such a gentleman. What do you usually feed him?

    ReplyDelete