09 March 2014

Kitchen Updates

Thinking of updating your kitchen and don't know where to begin or how you'll pay for it? Been there. Last Fall we took the plunge and I'll show you what we did!
We own a 1950's ranch home that we love, but I didn't love the custom cabinets as they had absolutely NO character. I poked around and got estimates to have them replaced and yikes. I was not going to replace all wood with particle board for $20,000.
I had both an image in my mind and a few magazine photos in my hand to begin the process and contacted a local custom trim maker who put me in touch with a cabinetry guy.

If you're in our area it's Larry Drouilliard @313.802.1219. We discussed several ideas and I also listened to his thoughts as to what might look great in my kitchen. Larry knew just what the kitchen needed to give it charm with a style that fit the space!
He custom fabricated the trim pieces and attached them to the cabinet/drawer fronts. He also custom made the wine rack to fit and the cabinet & wine rack for the microwave (more on that later). Before we purchased the house 20 years ago, someone had added a dishwasher and it looked like it. So Larry also added a "furniture" type leg to bring that more in tune with the rest of the kitchen. We purchased 2 inch crown molding and Larry custom made a trim piece to fit under the crown for more depth and interest.

I eliminated a long skinny cabinet since it was of little use and installed some book shelves and a wine rack. We also eliminated cabinets above the kitchen window and the apron on the window to give me a space to display a little something (I'm in love with battery operated remote control candles :))and the apron was customized to match the cabinet trim.

I added Martha Stewart brand cabinet and drawer pulls in a brushed nickel and painted all of the cabinets in Benjamin Moore White Cloud....I think ;). I kept my backsplash and countertop. I also kept the same paint on the walls which is Porcini Mushroom. Since we are getting ready to remodel/update the attached dining room this summer I left the floor and wall trim to be replaced with that project.

Here are some befores and afters.....












We still have a bit of work under the microwave when we remodel dining room. We will bring outlet into cabinet so it's not visible and pick up a smaller microwave...I left the insides of the new cabinets maple instead of trying to paint them and it's a nice contrast to all of the white. I may also build in tiled countertops, but I'm not too motivated after this crazy winter weather in Michigan.

Here's also a few close-ups of small drawers and what-not. Hope this inspires you to update your existing cabinets instead of replacing! Feel free to message me with any questions or give Larry a call directly if you live in the area!







No comments:

Post a Comment